I’m a literary agent with Books and Such Literary Agency based in California.
In addition, I’m an experienced editor, writing/publishing coach, social media coach, and speaker. I’ve been working in publishing since 1995.
CLICK HERE to learn more about my qualifications as an editor and publishing coach.
For a look at the authors and books I represent as an agent, the best place to go is my Pinterest page.
I work at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. I never get tired of talking about books and publishing, and working with authors is my dream job. This blog is a place where I get to hear the concerns and perspectives of writers in the trenches, so that I never lose touch with what’s happening on the other side of the desk.
Email me: Rachelle [at] booksandsuch [dot] com
Follow me on Twitter: @RachelleGardner.
My Publishing Story
I became an agent in 2007 with WordServe Literary Group in Denver, and joined Books and Such Literary in 2012. I’ve done 120+ book deals between authors and publishers.
I’ve been in publishing since 1995, working in various positions encompassing marketing, sales, international rights, acquisitions and editorial. Just prior to starting as an agent, I ran my own freelance writing and editing business from home. Before that, I was Senior Editor with NavPress, where I developed and launched the NavPress Fiction line, including three Christy Award finalists and an ECPA Award finalist in its first year. I acquired and edited numerous nonfiction books as well.
From 1995 to 1998, I worked at General Publishing Group in California, where I was Director of Rights and Marketing, managing departments of special sales, subsidiary rights, international rights, international sales and domestic marketing. Among other things, I built and managed a team of international sales agents; and represented the company in Frankfurt, London, Tokyo, Chicago and New York.
I’ve written eight published books (as a ghostwriter) and edited over 100.
I’ve Done Other Things Besides Publishing
Just out of college, I spent five years at Fox Broadcasting Company where I served as Special Programming Coordinator, working on more than sixty network television specials including the Emmy Awards and Billboard Music Awards. My bachelor’s degree is in Communications from California State University, Fullerton, and I later did graduate studies in Psychology at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.
When I’m not reading, you can usually find me out running, hiking, skiing, or having coffee at Starbucks.
If you still don’t know enough about me… read on.
5 Random Facts About Rachelle
1. My dog has his own page on Twitter. But he’s a bit of a slacker when it comes to tweeting. ReaganTheLab
2. I don’t watch TV news or read newspapers. I think I’m a happier person because of it.
3. I’ve jumped out of an airplane at 12,000 feet. I’ve hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (and back up again). I love scuba diving, waterskiing, snow-skiing, and horseback riding. I took indoor rockclimbing lessons but I don’t know if I’m brave enough to actually climb a mountain. One thing I would never do is bungee-jump.
4. I don’t scrapbook, knit, grow a garden, keep a perfect house, make my kids’ Halloween costumes, separate the whites from the colors, make my own bread, jam, or pizza crust, or clip coupons. Nor do I feel compelled to do any of these things.
5. I feel incredibly fortunate to have a job and a life that I love.